In this episode we are talking all about sustainability, the environment and planetary health with Ka Yan Hess. We discuss:
– why we need to question the current underpinnings of the profession including person-centered practice (yes, you read right!)
– how we can broaden person-centred health care using bidirectional questioning
– what we can do in our everyday practice towards environmental sustainability
– two new and different types of clinical reasoning: environmental reasoning and sustainable reasoning
– resources to dive further into planetary health
Ka Yan is a senior lecturer in Occupational Therapy at Oxford Brookes University in the U.K. She is the curriculum development and implementation lead for embedding planetary health and environmental sustainability for occupational therapy and interprofessional learning. She is passionate about research, scholarly activities and supporting student projects on the intersection of human and planet health.
As an alumni of University of Cape Town, Ka Yan has enjoyed a diverse clinical career supporting the health and wellbeing of adult service users with frailty, mental health, neurological and general medical conditions and challenges – both in South Africa and in the United Kingdom across acute, community and charity settings.